Sunroc Drinking Fountain Troubleshooting Guide
Download & Print PDF
Hot Water System Diagnosis
The hot water system consists of a stainless steel hot tank, a fixed hot thermostat, heat limiter, hot tank switch, and a heating band.
Hot water is vented through the gooseneck of the hot glass filler and will drop during the heating cycle. The hot water system will run approximately
10-15 minutes to produce 180 degree water. Under no load conditions, the hot tank will cycle 2-3 times an hour. An adjustable hot thermostat is
available if water above 180 degrees is required.
The most common heating problem is a defective heat limiter. This is a protective device in case the hot thermostat fails or the hot tank is run
without water. It's job is to cause an opening in the electrical circuit of the hot water system and must be replaced when it fails. Sometimes the heat
limiter will fail on it's own and other times for a good reason, which must be determined before replacement. These items can be checked with an
ohm meter for continuity to determine if they are operative.
|Compressor does not run
- Check the electrical receptacle for power and correct voltage. The incoming voltage must be within 10% of the rated voltage on the
- The cold thermostat is usually located behind the front panel or apron assembly. If the cold thermostat capillary bulb loses it's charge
or becomes kinked, it will fail in the open position, causing disruption of power to the compressor. Unplug the water cooler and, using an
ohm meter, check the continuity across the two electrical terminals on the thermostat. Install a new thermostat if there is not continuity.
- Check for loose wires within the compressor box. The incoming power leads must be connected to the overload and relay.
- If all components check positive for continuity, test the wiring harness plug for continuity to see if there is a broken wire within
the wiring harness insulation.
|Compressor runs - water is warm
- The most common cause for a water cooler to run without producing cold water is due to a loss of refrigerant. The water cooler must
be taken to a certified refrigeration technician for repairs.
- Make sure the condenser fan motor is operative. The fan blades must turn freely to help remove heat from the compressor.
- An incorrect refrigerant charge, restriction or defective compressor (not pumping) will also cause the compressor to run without
producing cold water.
|Compressor cycling on overload protector
- A dirty condenser or a blocked fan will cause a high head pressure and frequent cycling of the overload protector.
- Check the incoming voltage to make sure it is within 10% of the serial nameplate rating.
- A restriction or moisture in the system will also cause intermittent cycling. A certified refrigeration mechanic should be
contacted in this situation.
- Change the overload or relay if defective.
- Check to make sure the fan blade is rotating freely.
- Make sure the water cooler is correctly mounted to the wall (if applicable).
- Check the compressor mounting to make sure the pins and clips are not rattling. If the compressor appears to be noisy internally,
it must be replaced.
|No water flow
- When there is little or no flow from the bubbler or spout, check the water inlet strainer screen. Sediment from the main supply
can get trapped in the screen along with installation materials, such as pipe dope and flux. The screen should be cleaned and checked
on a regular basis and replaced if needed.
- The cartridge valve located in the water control assembly or bubbler can also become clogged with foreign material. The cartridge valve
can only be replaced, not repaired. See the exploded view section to locate the cartridge on each cooler model.
- The water cooler may also develop a freezing condition in which the water will become frozen inside the evaporator coil. This indicates
a refrigeration problem or thermostat failure. In this case the water cooler needs to be checked by a qualified technician.
- Cartridge - The water flow may be increased by turning the adjustment screw clockwise on the cartridge valve.
- Cold water thermostat - The water temperature can be made colder by turning the adjustment screw clockwise on the cold water thermostat.